Asbestos certificate needed

In compliance with state and federal laws, the Northern Montana Joint Refuse Disposal District (NMJRDD) is now requiring customers who want to rent a 40-cubic yard container for the demolition of buildings to have an asbestos inspection certificate.

Landfill manager Ron Collyer says the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and the federal Environmental Protection Agency and Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) all require the certification.

“This regulation has been in effect since 2006, but most people are unaware of the law,” Collyer said, adding that “people mistakenly believe that asbestos use was banned some time ago and that all modern building and renovation supplies are asbestos free.”

The asbestos inspection certificate shows the presence and types of asbestos in building materials. A certified asbestos inspector issues a certificate after he or she inspects the building before demolition or renovation.

People doing renovation or demolition need to have a certificate to comply with state and federal regulations and to protect the health and safety of themselves, contractors, construction workers, landfill employees and the general public.

Homeowners can remove their own asbestos-containing materials.

However, only qualified haulers can transport such materials to the landfill.

Owners of commercial buildings and contractors must use qualified asbestos abatement companies to remove the asbestos-containing materials.

The asbestos containing materials must be wrapped in 6-mil plastic, dampened to reduce dust and sealed with tape or another adhesive before it is transported to the landfill for disposal.

For more information on asbestos disposal or the asbestos inspection certificate requirement, contact the landfill office at 278-3095.

For more information on accredited asbestos inspectors, contractors and necessary forms, go online to the DEQ Web site at